What is Somatic Pilates?
The method is a sensory learning experience that changes movement and posture to mitigate the negative effects of pain and injury to learn to move more efficiently, easier, and better to do the things you want in life. It is not a repetitive exercise method to get fit or to be demonstrated by a teacher. It becomes your personal experience and support system to deal with the challenges that life brings.
There are two formats to the work:
- Awareness through Movement ( Group ATM)
- Functional Integration (FI)
The method uses different strategies to improve balance, posture, flexibility, coordination, sports, artistic ability, and self-empowerment. It is suitable for dealing with aches and pain believed to be age-related, balance issues with the fear of falling or breaking a bone, back pain, neck and shoulder pain, recovery from old and new injuries, relief from tension, and restricted movement with wanting to remain independent in life.
The method will teach you to move more easily and feel better allowing you to do more for yourself. It will challenge the belief that core strength is the issue and that you need to work hard to get results. You will learn that age is not the problem and that you can change /improve and keep learning until you die.
This is a mindful and intelligent approach to movement and wellbeing. It can be used as a stand-alone or a supportive addition to yoga, Pilates, and other modalities. SJ Somatic Pilates provides the foundation of movement for the future with benefits too:
- Reduce pain and restrictions,
- Move with ease and agility,
- Release chronic muscle tension,
- Improved posture,
- Improve flexibility and strength
- Revitalize bones, joints, and skeletal health,
- Release stress and tension increased vitality, health & well-being,
- Take what you learn into everyday life.
- Self Reliance & Empowerment